The Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme was created by the Hong Kong Research Grants Council (RGC) in 2009 with the primary purpose of drawing in exceptional students from all over the world to pursue and earn the PhD degree in Hong Kong.This scholarship will be awarded to students no matter their nationality, socio-economic background, financial status or whatsoever. The scholarship will be given based on academic achievements and potential leadership skills.
Candidates must possess their undergraduate degree certificate as evidence of being qualified to study a PhD degree program
Scholarship Application Deadline
The scholarship application deadline for this student grant offered by the Hong Kong Research Grants Council (RGC) is 1st December 2017 for the academic session starting September 2018.
This fellowship scheme will cover scholars for a period up to three years.
- Each award recipient receives up to $30,000 (HK$240,000) annually for their living expenses.
- A research/conference travel allowance of up to $1,300 (HK$10,000) will also be awarded to scholars of this program.
The said amount will be given to each scholars for three years of their study.
Number of Awardees
Up to 200 qualified applicants will receive this fellowship award for the year 2018/2019.
This scholarship program is solely for PhD degree program only.
All international students
Eligible Field/Course of Study
All qualified PhD programs offered by the institutions contributing in this fellowship program. Kindly visit the website of your choice institution and see what courses are available to study.
To be taken at
The Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPF) will fund their scholars to pursue their PhD degree program at any RCG-funded intuition located in Hong Kong, China. Below are the universities with their respective official links:
- Hong Kong Baptist University (http://gs.hkbu.edu.hk/)
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong (https://www.gs.cuhk.edu.hk/page/HongKongPhDFellowshipScheme)
- The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (http://www.polyu.edu.hk/ro/hkphd-fellowship/)
- The University of Hong Kong (http://www.gradsch.hku.hk/gradsch/prospective-students/scholarship-funding-and-fees)
- City University of Hong Kong (http://www.cityu.edu.hk/sgs/hkphd)
- The Lingnan University (http://www.ln.edu.hk/reg/info/pgrad/criteria.php)
- The Education University of Hong Kong (http://www.ied.edu.hk/gradsch/)
- The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (http://www.ust.hk/hkpfs)
- This should be the applicants’ first time of applying to study a PhD degree program.
- Applicant must be willing to enroll for a full-time program. Part-time program is not allowed with this student grant.
- All international students who has already acquired their bachelor’s degree or its equivalent are eligible to apply for this scholarship scheme offered by the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPF).
How Do One Apply For This?
- An online application for the scholarship can be done via Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme Electronic System (HKPFSES). This is the first step a candidate should take as this would help them get hold of an HKPFS Reference Number by the set deadline of December 1, 2017.
- After getting a Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS) Reference Number, candidates should go ahead and apply for an admission into any of the listed institution of their choice by visiting their chosen school. (List found above)
- It is very necessary for applicants to read more on how to apply and also gain further helpful information on this scholarship program by visiting https://cerg1.ugc.edu.hk/hkpfs/apply.html and also checking out the various institution’s link above to know what PhD degree course to opt for.
Official Website Link
Kindly check out the official website link to get the application form and start filling – http://cerg1.ugc.edu.hk/hkpfs/index.html